So, I finished my first half-marathon. I started running in January. Mostly it was to get rid of lingering baby weight. I've never been a runner, and I actually have never enjoyed it at all. But I decided that I needed to set a "goal" and picked the Marine Corps Marathon in DC. I had no intentions of running a half-marathon this early in my running, but one of my good friends called and asked me to run with her...after much debating I gave in.
Before Saturday I had never run more than 5 or 6 miles, so I was a little nervous. As I hit each mile I felt more and more excited because it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. Granted by mile 12 I was beginning to hurt and it took a lot of mental energy to tell my body to keep moving to make it to the finish. But after passing mile 13 I was able to sprint to the finish.
I finished in 2 1/2 hours, which I was pretty darn proud of...granted I got passed twice by two Kenyans who finished the full marathon in less time than it took me to run the half..and they made it look so easy.
It was crazy how good it felt to cross that finish line. I felt so accomplished and proud! And I felt great...mostly because the pain didn't set in for an hour or two. I did have an hour on the couch where I thought I might not ever move again, but I recovered.
Now I'm just nursing these crazy blisters that appeared in between all of my toes...brad says my toes are too close together. Not quite sure what that means? And I'm trying to motivate myself to get up and start training for the marathon in October. Even after running the half I cannot imagine running a full marathon. I'm so glad I have 7 months to get ready!
1 comment:
Way to go, Angie! That's great!
Post a Comment