Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Kindergarten and 2nd grade!

I know I probably say this every year, but I have no idea how this happened so quickly.  I can still remember when they were just born.  I think I blinked, and they grew overnight.  I've tried to prepare myself for this day for a while.  Having both kids in "big school" is a huge adjustment.  This is Emma's 3rd year in school, so I think I've become pretty used to that.  She LOVES school, and seeing her excitement for it has always made it easier to watch her walk out of the door every day.  But I also think it has been easier because I've always had Liam here with me.  Watching him walk out the door and being home alone for a big part of the day has been a really big adjustment.

Thankfully, I'm not writing this on the actual first day of school or I might not be able to see the screen through the tears.  They've been in school for about a month now, and I'm starting to get more used to it.  I definitely miss my sweet one-on-one time with Liam.  Little things remind me of him during the day, and then I remember that he isn't at home.  And then I start to think about how he's at school, learning new things, meeting new friends and in a whole new world.  My initial reaction is to want to protect him and make sure he is safe and loved.  But then I have to stop myself.

It's a scary thing to have your kids in school for most of the day.  For the first 5 years of their lives, you can "try" to control almost everything (or at least feel like you're in control of it).  But when they head to school, all you can do is trust and pray.  Trust that you've taught them what it means to love...love God, love your friends, love your teachers, love those that are mean to you or hurt you.  And trust that God goes with them wherever they go.  

I pray that they love school.  That they learn and grow every day.  And not just learn and grow in academics, but also that they learn and grow in their relationships with others.  You learn hard lessons in school about people that will hurt you, loving kids who aren't easy to love, honoring and respecting adults and friends...tough life lessons that it's hard to think my 5 and 7 year old are already learning.  But I'm thankful that we have a Heavenly Father who loves my kids and is with them all day long.  And I also have to remind myself that He has BIG plans for them..
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord.  Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you.  Plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11



Very excited to both be at Lake Park!

2nd grader!

1st day of Kindergarten

New backpacks

New shoes!

The Alley crew!

Ready and excited!

Too sweet for words!!

No comments: