Thursday, January 31, 2008

Finally from Georgia...again!!




Ever feel like you're just throwing money out of the window? Well, that is how I feel right now.
Let me start from the beginning...
Last weekend we were headed to Sharptop (a YL camp in North Georgia). I had to drive my car because Liam was going with us..and I asked 3 of my high school girls to ride with me.
All is well as we are driving along, singing, talking..when we pass a cop. I knew I wasn't speeding. The speed limit was 65, and I was going 73. Well, I guess that's speeding, but it only matters if you're going 10 over, right?
Anyway...my heart sinks when I see the cop's taillights come on and he pulls onto the road. I knew immediately he was coming for me. Sure enough he was.
I knew as soon as he walked up to my window that this wasn't one of those cops you were going to talk your way out of..."Ma'am, I stopped you for your excessive rate of speed"...I was doomed. The girls all wanted me to start crying. This has never worked for me in the past, and I could tell it wasn't going to work with this guy.
He disappears for a while and finally returns, "Ma'am, are you from Alabama or Georgia?" I say "Georgia. I just haven't gotten a new license yet". ( Although we have lived here for almost 3 years..I did not say this however). He proceeds, "Ma'am, you have 30 days to get a new license when you move to a new state. AND this license is expired."
WHAT!! I had no idea. Well, I knew the part about needing a new license in 30 days, but I did not know my Alabama license had expired. So, he proceeded to give me 2 tickets..one for speeding (turns out the speed limit has just changed to 55 when he clocked me) and one for an expired license. He then wouldn't let me drive away since my license had expired. One of the girls had to drive. He said if I was caught driving I would be arrested immediately.
I then faced a dilemma. Do I follow the law and let one of the girls drive or do I follow YL rules, which say that a teenager isn't supposed to drive? I chose to follow the law until we got right outside of Sharptop..i drove into camp.
So, when we got home I went to get a new license...as you can see. It only took 2 1/2 years to get to the DMV...I mean how am I supposed to get there with 2 kids? I haven't even had my teeth cleaned since Emma was born. She's 3, by the way.
I am officially from Georgia again...and I would say that sadly it took getting 2 tickets to make me go get a license. And that part about throwing money out of the window...this whole ordeal ending up costing $272.00 If anyone would like to contribute, let me know.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Hey Elliotts, I'm so glad that you got a blog. I love reading about what people are up to. I hope all is well in Albany. Sorry about the tickets. It was great to see you at Sharp Top last month.