So, we had our first set of stitches this week. Emma fell while riding her bike and busted open her chin. Sweet girl had to have 10 stitches (plus a layer of dissolvable ones underneath). She was so incredibly brave. She didn't budge once during the 45 minutes it took to do the stitches. And we were so blessed to have a neighbor, who is a PA, that stayed late at work and waited on us to get there to sew Emma up. Such a blessing!!!
I was so caught up in the moment while it was all happening....trying to figure out what to do with Liam while we went to the doctor, trying to get in touch with Brad, trying to make sure she "needed" stitches, switching out the paper towel she was holding under her chin as it filled with blood, looking for my keys, cell phone, purse, running out the door, filling out paperwork at the doctor's office, holding my baby's hand while she had to be so still for so long, talking to her to keep her mind off what was going on, telling her how much i loved her and giving her a million kisses.....that it wasn't until late that night after I'd gotten her to bed that it hit me how much pain she must have been in. Not that I didn't think about her being in pain while it was going on, but I started to think about how much that fall must have hurt. And I began to feel painfully sick.
I remember being at College Life (a weekly meeting all of the YL leaders had) when I was at UGA, and listening to our Area Director speak. He was talking about how he never fully understood how much God loves us until he had his own children. I remembering hearing that and thinking how true that probably was but not fully understanding it because I didn't have kids yet.
Well, now I do have kids. And now I do understand. It is almost impossible to put into words the love I have for my children. I would do anything for them. They bring me more joy than I ever thought possible. And I never want to see them in any pain....physical or emotional. It is gut-wrenching to watch them hurt (especially now that I have a 7 year old who is just beginning to learn what it means to be hurt by friends). They make me laugh, cry and just make my life whole.
How unbelievable is it to think that this is how God loves us. That we bring Him so much joy. That he delights in us. That He smiles just watching us and knowing that we are His. That He hurts when we are in pain. That He would do anything to let us know that He won't ever leave us and that He is with us through it all....the good, the bad and the ugly.
I don't know why it is so hard for me to fully believe this. Or why it is so easy for me to forget it sometimes. Maybe I just take it for granted or I've heard it so many times that I don't fully let it sink in. I'm not really sure, but I do know one thing. I want to know and feel this love. This never stopping, never giving us, always and forever love. To know how much I love my children and knowing that God loves me infinitely more than that....WOW!! I pray that I rest in this. That every day I am reminded of His amazing love. It makes me think of a song that I love:
He is jealous for me.
Loves like a hurricane and I am the tree, bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by Glory.
And I realize just how beautiful you are and how great your affections are for me.
And, oh, How He loves us so.
Oh, How he loves us.
How He loves us so.
I pray you know this love, too.
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
love this post! miss you!
Post a Comment